Sunday, September 13, 2015

In Times of Need

This was my second week to spend my Sunday morning at SOUL Church. This is an open air church organized every Sunday morning by a variety of volunteers, many of whom have been attending and serving each Sunday morning for many years. My friends, Terri and Kathy, have been gathering, organizing, and bringing clothing donations down to the homeless of Dallas for five years. Since I've known them, I've been promising to join them. But 5:45 on Sunday morning comes early. For all this time, I thought I couldn't fit in another thing.
I realized something today, though, as I sat there wondering why I felt so blessed to be down there. It goes back to a thought I had earlier in the week, about my own relationship with him. That relationship has recently been renewed as my need for Him has grown much stronger. I started a very busy semester in late August, and before that I was in a strange place. I knew He was there,but my  passion for Him had grown cold. I didn't feel close to Him anymore. I was comfortable in my life, and I didn't feel I really needed Him. I didn't want to feel that way. I missed my relationship with Him, but I didn't know how to need Him. Without really consulting Him, I had decided last semester that this one would be my time to go ahead and finish my Master's. I'd been dreading it, reluctant to put in the hours necessary, I wanted to continue in my comfort. But in some ways, I realize now, I didn't want to.
Since the semester began, I have increasingly turned toward Him. His teaching has again filled my life, and His music has captured my heart. I absolutely know that I cannot do this on my own. The hours I must put in, the dedication I must have ... It's not within me to do it in my own. And it's something that He has been calling me to do for many years now. My advisor gave me a card. It says "Keep calm, God has a plan."
I ended up at SOUL because getting my degree requires me to do 25 hours of service work. The first time I went I was disappointed in myself that I hadn't gone before. 
But why do I feel so good here? I was asking myself. Here I am among the poor and the broken and I'm happy as a clam. Yes, I have a servant's heart, but still ... I just feel so blessed to be here. And then it hit me this morning. That the spirit of Christ dwells among the needy and the broken. That the spirit of Christ lives and breathes where people cry out for Him, and where His people go to answer the call. 
He calls us to be out of our comfort zone for Him. He calls us to live on the edge of ourselves, where our need for Him is great and where the opportunities to serve Him are many. This is where He dwells and where we meet Him. 
Lord, let me live on that edge, to continually follow you in service and in worship, to reach out to those who need you, and to find opportunities to confess your Holy, Sweet, and Loving Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment